Mental health is the way people think, feel, and act as they face life’s situations. Staying mentally healthy helps us enjoy life to its fullest and cope with its challenges.
Importance of staying mentally healthy
- Staying mentally healthy makes us feel an adrenalin rush. It may happen suddenly without our knowledge, but most of us have felt an adrenalin rush. This rush may pop in as we are swimming, exercising, or rock climbing. At that moment, all our worries and pain go away, leaving us with a sense of euphoria.
It’s the endorphins in our brains, which are responsible for adrenalin rushes. These endorphins are believed to relieve pain, reduce stress, and delay the aging process. Engaging in physical exercises boosts the release of endorphins in the entire body, making us feel good.
- It helps us to combat mental health challenges. Staying mentally healthy allows us to fight our mental health challenges, usually associated with chronic physical illnesses. In some cases, staying mentally healthy can block the relapse of mental or physical illnesses.
Proper stress management is known to minimize heart disease.
- Staying mentally healthy develops confidence and self-esteem in children. When parents support mental health by praising their children for the good things they do and attempting their big tasks for the first time, they develop their confidence and self-esteem.
Such acts encourage children to learn new things and explore the unknown. Mentally healthy children are availed of a safe play environment. They are given assurances and smiled at, and are encouraged to engage in various activities.
- It’s associated with increase learning. According to research, staying mentally healthy is linked with increased learning, creativity and productivity, advanced pro-social behavior, and positive social relationships. Staying mentally healthy leads to improved physical health and a higher life expectancy.
- Staying mentally healthy develop positive environments. Staying mentally healthy focuses on creating environments where you can thrive and attain your optimal potential in life.
- It ends stigma and shame in favor of a better life. It’s essential to talk about mental health so that you help others to come forward about it. Without staying mentally healthy, we often feel ashamed of ourselves because we feel abnormal and so little of ourselves.
Part of the healing procedure is turning those negative feelings around. We should realize that our imperfections don’t make us worthless. Understanding this makes us help others turn their feelings of self-doubt around and accept themselves.
Enjoying the benefits of staying mentally healthy makes us spread awareness about mental health and its importance, reducing stigma. With mental health treatment and understanding and breaking the stigma around mental illness, the mentally ill will feel comfortable reaching out to someone for help.
When we do this, we empower ourselves and the world we live in. We learn to notice our triggers and warning signs so that we don’t spiral. We show utmost compassion towards others experiencing mental illnesses. This contributes to a more connected world.
Staying mentally healthy changes our world for the better.